Though cough and colds are viewed as the most common and irritating ailments, they are usually symptoms of an upcoming fever or other sickness, indicating that your body needs to rest. Coughing spells can be caused by either of these two: 1) a congestion of phlegm in the chest and throat that is too thick to be expelled or 2) irritants such as dirt particles and pollutants that are inhaled via nose or throat.
On the other hand, colds, also known as runny noses or sniffles, are caused by a build up of mucous in the nose as a defense mechanism to get rid of a virus or bacteria on the onset. As mentioned earlier, a cold is one of the first symptoms of a malaise such as fever or flu. The Generics Pharmacy is stacked with the right medicine for cough and colds. For dealing with cough, we have suppressants, expectorants, and topical medicine. For colds, we have medication for steam inhalation and also nasal sprays, to name a few.
- Suppressants reduce coughing fits caused by pollution or dirt particles that irritate and inflame the throat.
- Expectorants loosen phlegm in the nose and throat so it can be pushed out easier. The most common example of this is guaifenesin.
- Topical remedies can be applied to the nose, throat, and temple of a person to provide relief for both cough and colds.
- Lozenges are orally ingested medicines that reduce inflammation brought about by infections in the nose and throat.
- Steam inhalation medication uses remedies such as camphor and menthol in gas form that give comfort to patients suffering from runny noses.
- Nasal sprays reduce swelling of the nasal passages caused by sinusitis, allergies, and other related sicknesses when taken through the nose.