Out of the most common of all colds that will occur in any age group begins with a dry cough. It is that annoying feeling in the throat of having mucus and phlegm stuck, getting itchier as time goes on. It could affect you anytime, and usually, you’ll figure out that you’ve got this form of sickness when you cough too often than you should. While there are plenty of advertisements going “ang mabisang gamot sa dry cough”, you can bet that it will still take considerable effort in order to announce yourself as ‘cough free’.
Dry cough is a prelude to different medical conditions which follows this symptom, however, you shouldn’t panic so easily when you are suddenly afflicted by coughing. The best way to ensure that you are safe from the advancement of worse illnesses is preventive measures which need to be undertaken to avoid future conflicts in your health condition.
What is dry cough?
To know how this could be prevented and/or remedied, you must first have the basic idea of what dry cough is. You are given the notion that dry cough is as simple as an irritation in the throat area as a sign that phlegm needs to be let out. However, there are notable factors that one must have knowledge when it comes to dealing with coughs.
Na-re-resolba lang ba ang dry cough sa gamot?
Mahirap sabihin na uminom ka lamang ng tubig at magpahinga ang makakatulong sa problema at perwisyo na dulot ng tuloy-tuloy na pag-ubo. Hindi rin naman madaling sabihin na gamot sa dry cough ang solusyon kung ito ay nagiging malala na. Ang remedio para sa matinding pag-ubo ay hindi lamang nakukuha sa simpleng pag-inom o pag-kain ng iba’t ibang prutas at kung anu-ano pa na siyang tuluyang magpapagaling sa karamdaman. Kung minsan, mas napapalala pa nga ang kundisyon kung basta na lang natin iinuman ng gamot o kung anu mang medisina ang nakakapaggaan ng loob. Mabisa pa rin ang malaman muna kung ano ba talaga ang dry cough, kung saan nagmumula ito, ano ang iba’t ibang uri ng pag-ubo (upang malaman kung gaano na ba kalala ang kundisyon). Sa ganito, mas alam natin kung ano bang klaseng gamot ang iinumin, anong proseso ang ating susundin para tuluyang mawala ang sinasabing dry cough.
What do we need to know about coughs?
Basically, it’s a kind of cough where the phlegm refuses to discharge from the throat. Therefore, it is what gives off the itchy, tickling feel. It is associated with viral illnesses such as colds and flu, but not all dry coughs are symptoms to colds. Sometimes, it is triggered when a person suffers from allergies or other throat irritants. At most, a cough which leads to colds and flu should only last for up to 2-3 weeks in order to clear up. It will then take up to 8 weeks while post-viral coughs persist after viral illness.
You might want to consider checking in with your doctor if the coughs last longer than the given time period as it may be a sign of further health issues or an advancing illness. With children, coughs should usually last for about 2-4 weeks (called a prolonged acute cough). However, if it takes more than 4 weeks, it is considered as a chronic cough. Severe coughing could lead to further harm such as pulling the chest muscles, fracturing the ribs. Other harm could cause scratching of the throat which may allow it to bleed so that when you cough, blood follows.
Posible bang lumala ang pag-ubo sa loob ng ilang araw?
Depende kung ang pag-ubo ba ay matindi sa loob ng ilang araw magmula ng ito’y nagsimula, posibleng senyas ito ng mas malalang kundisyon ng katawan. Kumpara sa iniinuman ng gamot sa dry cough upang gumaan ang karamdaman, malalamang kakaiba na ang kundisyon kung hindi umaapekto ang gamot, inumin, o pagkain na inirekomenda ng doktor. Ganito rin naman ang mangyayari kung pinabayaan ang pag-ubo at binaliwala hangga’t sa lumala. Hindi naman pupwedeng inuubo na ay patuloy pa rin ang pag-kain o pag-inom ng malamig, pag-kain ng matamis (na siyang magpapalala pa sa karamdaman), o ang hindi pag-dalaw sa doktor upang ma-diskubre ang ugat ng matinding pag-ubo. Hindi rin naman pwedeng hulaan na lang kung anong gamot sa dry cough ang magpapakalma sa lalamunan, kaya naman may posible ring lumala ang pag-ubo sa loob ng ilang araw dulot ng kapabayaan o pagigiging iresponsable.
Who are most affected by dry cough?
You have learned so far that dry cough may target anybody as it is also a viral illness, easily carried through the air—when a person with a cold sneeze, when you are exposed to dust particles, and the smoke coming from cigarettes. But are there specific age groups or people who are prone to dry coughs, experiencing this more often than usual?
- People affected with chronic coughs. People who have a history of smoking, chronic lung diseases, asthma, seasonal allergies, or lung cancer are those susceptible to dry coughs more often than people who are simply developing colds and flu in their health condition. Chronic infections such as tuberculosis involve chronic coughs as well.
- Mahihilig sa matatamis at malalamig. Hindi na bago sa konsepto na basta kumain ka ng matamis—at hindi mo ininuman agad ng tubig—o kaya naman ay hilig mo ang pag-kain, lalo na ang pag-inom, ng malamig ay maaaring ubuhin ka. Habang wala naman talagang patunay na kapag umiinom ka ng malamig ay ito ang salarin ng pagkakaroon ng matinding pag-ubo, ayon sa mga napag-aralan ay nagsasabing natutuyo raw ang respiratory lining na siyang nag-sisimula sa tuloy-tuloy na pag-ubo. Ang pag-kain naman ng matatamis ay nakaka-buo ng tinatawa na mucus o plema kaya siguraduhing maaagapan agad ng pag-inom ng tubig, at kumain ng matamis na may moderasyon. Alalahanin na meron naming gamot sa dry cough na handang lumutas ng kakaibang karamdaman sa lalamunan, ngunit kung maaari naming iwasan, bakit hindi?
What are the symptoms of a dry cough?
Other than the sweets or the cold drinks that your parents would probably warn you about not to take too much, there are other reasons why dry cough arises. For this, we’ll divide it into the symptoms, and the effects by which different symptoms may lead up to—may they be coughing as a sign of a cold or flu or a sign of an illness which goes beyond that.
It was discussed earlier that not all dry coughs are the same, and that they depend on the duration to point out how worse it has become. Here’s a proper guide in notifying you whether a dry cough has gone far:
- Acute coughs are a sudden onset which lasts up to 3 weeks.
- Sub-acute coughs last for about 3-8 weeks.
- Chronic coughs continue beyond the 8 week time period for sub-acute coughs.
- Productive cough is when phlegm starts to be involved.
- The dry cough does not bring about phlegm, this is why it irritates the throat and makes it feel ticklish.
- Nocturnal cough, as the name implies, occurs only during the night.
- Hemoptysis is when you start to draw blood when coughing.
Depending on where you place your coughing on a given time period, don’t wait until your cough persists for more than 4 weeks. Consult with your doctor.
Pagbaba ng timbang
Isa sa mga posibleng sintomas ng pagkalala ng karamdaman ay ang hindi nais na pagbaba ng timbang. Kasabay ng malalang pag-ubo, malalaman rin na nagiging malubha na ang kundisyon ng katawan kung bumababa ang timbang ng hindi nag da-diet, nag-e-ehersisyo, o kung ano mang paraan ng pagbabawas timbang.
Difficulty in swallowing
Also included is when you cough whenever you swallow. Although, it is natural that when your throat is irritated and the feeling of mucus is stuck on its passageway makes for hard swallowing (either liquid or solid food). Remember that it shouldn’t come to the point where you can hardly take anything anymore, not even the medicine you drink. If this is the case, consider seeing your doctor as it may be a sign of an indifferent activity going on in the throat.
Pag-kasama ng pakiramdam at nilalamig
Isa rin sa mga sintomas ng dry cough ay ang sumasamang pakiramdam, pati na rin ang nilalamig ang katawan hindi lang sa labas, pati na rin sa loob. Nangyayari ito bilang panimula sa trangkaso kung saan mababa ang kalagayan ng immune system at patuloy ang pag-ubo, lalo na sa pagpilit na paglabas ng plema. Ang gamot sa dry cough na ini-reseta ng doktor ay mabisa, ngunit kung patuloy pa rin ang pagsama ng pakiramdam ay bumalik ulit sa doktor at magpa-konsulta.
What causes dry cough?
As there are symptoms to track how cough is progressing once acquired, so are there causes to pinpoint how you were affected by dry coughs. Here are some of the causes.
- Viral infection. It occurs after a common cold and may last several weeks than most symptoms. You are more vulnerable to viral infections when your immune system is low. This often gets worse at night.
- Dulot ng kapaligiran. Maaring maka-laganap ng virus na nakakasimula ng pag-ubo sa kapaligiran, lalo na sa lugar kung saan nagta-trabaho, nag-aaral, o kung saan madalas mag-punta. Nakakaapekto ang alikabok at kemikal na nalalanghap sa paligid, pati na rin ang usok na ating nakakatagpo sa araw-araw na sitwasyon.
- Asthma and allergies. A mild chronic cough may be a sign of asthma, but people who are already suffering from asthma may suffer from coughing from time to time, especially when triggered by particular substances. Same goes for allergies which include not only coughing but sneezing as well.
Further illnesses which may develop from dry cough
Coughing has been a common mark for a coming cold, so much that people tend to ignore it, remedy it with fruit, medicine for coughs and colds (lozenges or other cough-relieving candies), and rest until it passes. However, there are cases when a simple cough is just an initial sign for a more dangerous health condition to come. Take a look at these possible medical implications which started out with dry coughs.
- Lung cancer. Cigarette smoking is dangerous for your health, so the saying goes. However, even non-smokers can develop lung cancer. Constant coughing may be a sign of developing lung cancer, especially when blood is involved.
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. Ang tinatawag na SARS ay isang sakit na nakakahawa at, kung minsan, ay nakakamatay. Ayon sa pag-aaral, ang sintomas ay kaparehas ng nakikita sa pneumonia o sa trangkaso, ngunit kung ang pag-ubo ay tuloy-tuloy at matindi, maaari itong signos ng pagkakaroon ng SARS.
- Cystic Fibrosis. This kind of illness is known for its abnormally thick and sticky mucus which prevents organs, particularly the lungs and pancreas, from functioning the way they should. It leads to the clogging of mucus, towards the full failure of the respiratory system.
The remedies for dry cough
It can be said that nothing speaks better medicine, but water therapy. Always keep yourself hydrated to avoid dryness of throat.
Keep the body warm
You can continue drinking all your favorite iced blended beverage, however, don’t forget to take warm to hot drinks as well. When you bathe, don’t hesitate to heat water or use a humidifier to avoid developing coughs.
Kumain ng Lozenges
Maaari ring kumain ng tinatawag na lozenges upang bawasan ang maga na dulot ng impeksyon sa ilong at sa lalamunan. Nakakagaan ito ng pakiramdam, at isa sa mga ginagamit sa tuwing inuubo ng hindi kinakailangan ng reseta galing sa doktor.
Gumamit ng Expectorants
Ginagamit ang mga gamot sa sipon gaya ng Expectorants upang mapadali ang paglalabas ng plema sa lalamunan o kaya ng sipon sa ilong. Isang uri ng Expectorant ay ang guaifenesin. Kung gamot sa dry cough ang kailangan, ito ay maaasahan.
Gamot sa dry cough with The Generics Pharmacy
We know how troublesome and inconvenient dry coughs can get, and we understand the need for quality, as well as affordable generic medicine. Here at The Generics Pharmacy, we care for the health of every Filipino and seek to provide safe products with our continuous service for you.
Here at TGP, we can assure your trust that your coughs and other conditions will be remedied. To find out how we may further assist you, click here!